May 1, 2013

Try This One On For Size

This is me. Hiking. In my favorite articles of clothing of all time- Kooks shirt and overalls. 
Welcome to Harry the Rock. This is Sam. I'm a pretty young almost adult that lives in the shadow of the Utah mountains. I'm not a writer and I don't claim to be-yet. It's the goal someday, but for now, that dream exists only in my head. For now, blogging is the answer. I've tried to blog in the past, just like I've tried to keep a journal and tried to write a novel and tried to learn how to shuffle cards- so no, it has never quite worked out. But this time is different. Can't tell you why quite yet, but I'm feeling it in my bones. Have you ever felt that? That feeling that something is going to happen, something is coming, something is ALMOST there, a step below tangible? That's how I feel whenever I start to write. It's like someone lights a grenade under my fingertips and at the very base of my brain.. the ticking drives me insane.  But the thrill of it... Ahh. I feed off that thrill. Explosion is coming, combustion is at the doorstep- the only way to avoid it is to get the words out. I'm never sure what words, but they come anyways. They find a way to seep through my pen, glide off the keyboard, stretch out of my fingertips and dance out of my mouth. 
Sometimes the words surprise me. Sometimes I hate them. I always enjoy the feel of them on the paper, but it is rare that I love what they say. My words bring truth. I guess that's what this blog is about- it's about things that exist without an effort. They permeate without the insistence of our presence. Truth is a substance that needs no help. Words, when allowed their agency, always get involved with it. I suppose they don't really have to try- they are invariably intertwined. Words and truth, truth and words. We can never do that partnership justice, because who are we, extinguishable beings, in the light of something so immutable. We can express our bit of it. That's the extent of the control we have over truth and words- the expression of it. That's the goal of what I am trying to do here- and away we go! The adventure of expression and discovery- otherwise known as life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment