Dec 5, 2013

Poetry On Billboards

I am not a poet. I have never claimed to be.

So with that said, here it goes.

Before you start this, click here. Read about it. Now I will explain this thing that I have done and you'll probably think I'm really very stupid. But that's really ok with me, because chances are that no one will read this or even care if they do. Ok. Why am I procrastinating telling you about this? I'm having a problem. Ok. Ok. Alright. Here it goes (I'm not a poet. Is that much obvious yet?)

Once upon a time, I wrote an essay about someone that became a Child of God. Not that they weren't always a Child of God, but they became one through my perspective. The essay was a little bit personal and involved some people that I don't want to embarrass, so I'm not going to post it here. But the gist of it was this: everyone is a Child of God, even if they don't even realize it. More importantly, everyone is a Child of God even if you don't even realize it. I've written about this before, so I won't elaborate too much. I just think it's really important and it's also something that's hard for me to remember sometimes. I write about things that are hard for me. Like remembering and loving and being happy. Not that I don't remember things and that I'm not happy. But life is hard and days are tough and those things easily slip through everyone's fingers at one time or another. Sand is beautiful and weird and fun to have but easy to let go of. So the point is to make your sand into a rock- and the only way to do that? Pressure. Really difficult times. Hard times will make your sand into a solid mass of sedimentary that won't be broken down again if you hold on real tight and pray real hard. So yes, if happiness is sand, then make it into a rock. And then let God do the rest, because really, He's the one that gave you the sand in the first place.

Moving on.

So what I did with this essay that I wrote was kinda cool, I thought. Wasn't my idea, and as you are aware if you obeyed my commands and clicked on the above link (another chance HERE). Being the graphic design artist that I am (ha), I created a poster on my handy-dandy laptop. I printed a few of them off and then put them up around campus. The purpose was to promote unique and uplifting rhetoric in people's daily lives, as opposed to the manipulative and annoying ads that seem to pop up EVERYWHERE. Words can knock people down or set them straight again, often without a person even realizing it. I don't think my words are all that special, but that's not the point. The point is to promote words, no matter whose they are. Get people to think. That's something that we could all use a little more of, even on a college campus. Haha. ESPECIALLY on a college campus.


So I put the posters up, froze to death in the process, took a few pictures because that seems to be the thing to do with everything (I saw a collection of the year's stupidest selfies today. A selfie at Auschwitz? Really? And sooooo many funeral selfies. Wow. I can't even.. it made me want to throw up. You will not find that link here), and then went home and wondered if anyone saw them. Probably not. But maybe they did, and maybe it sparked something in them. I guess I'll never know.

So there's my story. Sorry it took so long to spit out. Don't forget to make your rock and to remember always who's child you are. Because I can promise you that He's never forgotten.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed! Way to take initiative and do something that surely made the world a better place. :)

    ReplyDelete