Dec 3, 2013

This American Life

I was recently introduced to This American Life, a radio program that presents hour long podcasts on pressing issues and fascinating stories in American society. I spent some time listening and I was blown away. It's always floored me at no matter how much you think you know about something, there is always so much to still discover. This is what these podcasts provided for me, an opportunity to see the world differently. If you have time to listen, please do it. It'll be worth your time.

#1- Dr. Gilmer and Mr. Hyde
This was a disturbing look at the American prison system and the way that people are treated once labeled with a title that they can't seem to shake, such as a liar or a fake. It's brutal and raw, but it made me reconsider the what I blindly accept as truth about people. Is truth always something that is self-evident? I don't think so. Especially not after listening to this.

#2- Harper High School, Part 1
Wow. I cannot come close to describing how much this shook me. School gun violence seems to be an exhausted topic among American rhetoric, but think again. There is so much that isn't covered in media, this podcast covering just one of these stories. Why isn't this talked about more?

#3- Harper High School, Part Two
If you listened to the first episode of this, you'll want to listen to the second. It's more personal, more intimate, less about the issue and more about the people. It will leave you in tears. Make sure to listen to the very end- the very last sentence unnerved me. Makes you want to figure this out.

So there you have it. Please do yourself a favor and take the time to listen to these. It will make you change. There's more at thisamericanlife.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment